FR

A Little History

In 1905, George E. Hanson, the son of the businessman and carder John D. Hanson, built the present building to house the woollens factory founded by his father in 1878 on the east side of the Brasserie stream. The building was constructed in brick on three sides and in sheet metal on the back in order to make future enlargement possible. Women carders, knitters and spinners worked there producing the flannel, blankets, socks and felt that earned the company a country-wide reputation. The machines fell silent in 1979 and the property passed into the hands of the Société d’aménagement de l’Outaouias in 1980.
             Behind the building can be found the remnants of one of two small outbuildings, a sorting room, where the business’s first activities took place: shredding, sorting, scouring and removing the dust from raw wool.
              The company name, Hanson Hosiery Mills, painted in white on the brick, is still visible, and the La Filature company logo, by graphic designer Mike Teixeira, evokes this industrial knitting history with a thread running under steel letters.